Sunday, 24 April 2011

SAIBABA to return stronger!!!

Did Sathya Sai Baba have premonition 10 years ago that he would fall seriously ill? Yes, claim his followers. According to them, Sai Baba had predicted in 2000 that he would be indisposed for 40 days but would come back strong to give darshan to his devotees.

This was revealed in a book 'Tapovanam — Bhagawan Sri Sathya Saibaba Satcharitra Nityaparaya-nam' in which the author Jandhyala Venkateswara Sastry has written an essay on Baba's ill-health. Sai Baba had told his students at his Sai Shruti ashram in Kodaikanal in 2000: ''Though most of my disciples fall at my feet, they don't know my real value. A time would come when I would vanish and take a walk across the skies. During that phase, my body would face serious health problems and devotees would be desperately praying for my recovery.''

The Baba goes on to say that several gun-toting cops would be guarding the premises where he would be hospitalised. As Saturday marked the 27th day of his stay in the hospital, many devotees said Baba would soon give darshan. 

Sathya Sai Baba passes away:

Sathya Sai Baba, who had millions of followers across the world, is no more. Baba's heart stopped beating at 7.28 am on Sunday morning.

He had been on ventilator support for many days with all his vital parameters failing. He was being treated at the super speciality hospital that he himself had created for the masses. Doctors confirmed that Sai Baba died of cardio-respiratory failure.

Baba's body will be kept for darshan at Sai Kulwant Hall in Puttaparthi for two days - Monday and Tuesday. Arrangements will be made for darshan after 6:00 pm today at the hall. About 4 lakh people are expected to come to Puttaparthi, a small town of 25,000 in Andhra Pradesh's Ananatpur district. This includes VVIPs, VIPs and common devotees from across the globe and India.

Andhra chief minister Kiran Kumar Reddy has left for Puttaparthi to pay tributes to Baba.

A pall of gloom descended on this town, 450 km from Hyderabad, as the news of Sai Baba's death spread. His family members, four ministers and government officials rushed to the hospital following reports that Sai Baba's condition had deteriorated further. (Read: Pall of gloom descends on Puttaparthi)

There has been a complete shutdown in the town since morning following reports about deterioration in the condition of Sai Baba.

For the first time since Baba was admitted to Sathya Sai Baba super speciality on March 27, the doctors did not issue a morning bulletin on Sunday.

Although everybody was preparing for the inevitable for the last few days, a decision had been taken by representatives of Baba's family and members of the Sathya Sai Central Trust to not pull the plug from the ventilator.

Devotees had been praying for a miracle and had kept their faith that the 86-year-old Baba would rise once again and give darshan to the faithful.

The Central trust was headed by Sathya Sai Baba himself and had luminaries like PN Bhagwati, former chief justice of India, SV Giri, retired central vigilance commissioner as members amongst others. A nephew of Baba, Ratnakar was also part of the trust. The trust secretary, K Chakravarthi, who influenced by Baba resigned from the IAS to devote himself to the service of the godman, executed all the programmes of the organisation.

Since this is all powerful body, it has to be seen as to who becomes the new chairman. But indications are that nephew Ratnakar who otherwise runs a cable TV operation and a gas agency will play a more active role.

Satyajit, the personal caregiver of the Baba and a product of the university at Puttaparthi set up by the godman will also play a key role. It is believed that Satyajit, still in his early thirtees, has the support of most trust members and also that of Chakravarthi. A whole array of philanthropic activities including water supply is carried on by the trust.

A village boy who became demi god:

Sathya Sai Baba, who died on Sunday, was seen as a reincarnation of god by millions, having preached an eclectic blend of Hindu religion since the time he claimed to be an 'avatar' at a young age of 14.

The many attacks by rationalists on him and what he stood for did not derail the immense following he achieved as he grew from this once obscure hamlet to achieve demi god status in India and abroad.

Born as Sathyanarayana Raju in November 23, 1926 in Puttaparthi, his devotees claimed he started singing Sanskrit verses, of which he had no knowledge, one day in March 1940 after being apparently stung by a scorpion.

Within two months, the teenager claimed to be a reincarnation of the more famous Shirdi Sai Baba, who had reportedly stated before his death in 1918 that he would reappear in the then Madras Presidency eight years later.

In no time, the boy gathered a following as he stepped into the world of spirituality. Word spread that Raju could make objects such as food and sweets materialise out of thin air.

As time went by, and he came to be recognised for his mane and flowing orange robes, the boy transformed into Sathya Sai Baba, frequently producing with a flick of his hand 'vibhuti' (sacred ash) and small objects such as Shiv lings, rings and necklaces.

Puttaparthi became his base, eventually transforming the once small village into a lively pilgrimage centre, with its own railway station and air strip.

The spiritual guru built a temple in 1944. Four years later he founded Prasanthi Nilayam (Abode of Supreme Peace) at Puttaparthi.

He also opened ashrams at Whitefield on Bangalore's outskirts and at Kodaikanal in Tamil Nadu. He made it a point to tell his followers not to give up their original religion.

He preached: "My objective is the establishment of sanatana dharma, which believes in one god as propitiated by the founders of all religions."

Sathya Sai Baba, however, ran into critics who repeatedly challenged him to make the objects materialise in "controlled conditions" -- to prove that he was not indulging in trickery.

The godman brushed away the attacks, which abated over the years, even as his spiritual empire expanded. Today, his devotees are spread over some 130 countries and number in millions.

Simultaneously, Sai Baba plunged into charitable work.

His movement began providing free medical treatment, both in Puttaparthi and Bangalore, as well as free education for the poor.

Sathya Sai Baba was also credited with unveiling drinking water schemes in drought-prone Anantapur district, where Puttaparthi is located, and to the city of Chennai.

Food is sold at hugely subsidized rates at his ashram here - even to those who do not follow him.

In 2001, the digital radio network, Radio Sai Global Harmony, was launched to spread Sai Baba's message of harmony and peace.

He acquired a huge following that included political leaders, film stars and industrialists -- and millions of ordinary folk.

But controversies always dogged Sai Baba.

He was accused of sexual abuse. The BBC once produced a documentary that showed him in poor light.

Sai Baba remained single. Not much is known about his personal life.

The killing of four alleged intruders into Sai Baba's bedroom by police in 1993 still remains a mystery.

From 2005, Sai Baba had been using a wheelchair and his failing health had forced him to make fewer public appearances.

Two of his elder sisters, an elder brother and a younger brother have died. Some of the children of his sisters and brothers are today active in the trusts formed by him.

Many believe he died a day after he was admitted to the hospital March 28 and that his relatives waited for an auspicious time to make the announcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment